Monday, March 25, 2013

CrossFit BodyComp Challenge

After the Mississippi Blues Marathon, and even leading up to it, I knew that I wanted a bit of time off from running. I was definitely a bit burned out. Four marathons in eight months will do that to a girl! I took about a week off, and then embarked on something completely different. And Chasen joined me!

For the following ten weeks, I began having my rear handed to me about four times per week at my local CrossFit as part of a Body Comp Challenge (a 10-week body changing competition). What is CrossFit, you ask? From the website: "that which optimizes fitness (constantly varied functional movements performed at relatively high intensity)." Translation: (in my own words) weight training at a certain pace, plyometric exercises, timed workouts... basically anything that makes one pour sweat and maybe even feel like they're going to vomit (thank goodness that never happened to me - yet). Wow - I have loved it! The folks at DeSoto CrossFit have been so very encouraging and nice.

You might remember me trying this before in late summer. I didn't last long due to various circumstances. This time I was out for blood! Like I said, I went about four times per week. That's forty difficult workouts! My physical results, in my opinion, were pretty terrific. I lost 2" in my waist and 2.5" in my hips! I lost 3.5 pounds, as well (yes, it could have been better, but I am human). My other measurements increased, which was surprising to me, because I feel that I look soooooo much better. The female trainer that took my measurements said that it was a good thing -- so there ya go. I'm pleased as punch.

Here is a list of some of the things I have been doing: lunges, squats, dead lifts, back squats, shoulder presses, hammer curls, tricep extensions, sit ups, push ups, dips, pull ups (modified at this point), goblet squats, kettle bell swings, box jumps (also modified), snatches, cleans, bent over rows, bench presses, wall balls, burpees, planks, split jumps, frog hops, face pulls, jumping jacks, Turkish get ups, high knees, lumberjack squats, Russian step ups, side crunches, supermans, wall sits, calf raises, reverse sit ups. Yea -- it's no wonder that my body has changed.

Have I missed running during the past ten weeks? Not too much, to be honest. I even toyed with the idea of not running for about six months. As in, not one step, other than that which is sometimes required at CrossFit. But, you know me, marathons are where my heart is. My main goal with all of this fantastic CrossFitting is to become a stronger runner. So I'm now trying to live in both worlds. I've even registered for marathon #11, the Wisconsin Marathon. I'm training for it by loosely following a training plan created by CrossFit Endurance, an endurance sports training program dedicated to improving performance, fitness, and endurance sports potential. You run LOTS less than with a traditional marathon training plan, and you do lots of speedwork (my least favorite thing to do). It's a mental challenge for this woman! But I do believe in the CrossFit way, and I know for a fact that my legs are MUCH stronger than before, as is the rest of me.

Isaac went with me about 1-2 times per week. Now he likes to do what Mommy and Daddy do.

Now that the Body Comp Challenge is done, I had aimed to reduce my days per week at CrossFit to three or so, giving me more time to focus on the running. But, you know what? I just love it (Chasen, too!) and can't seem to stay away. I have lots of room to improve, and I really want to. A new chapter begins!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO SUSAN! This is awesome!!!! =) -Heather

Susan said...

You are amazing woman!
You must look awesome! Why don't we ever see a picture of you?
So are you working with sandra again now too?